Saturday 3 May 2014

Internet trolls, rise above them

On the day that I launched the first draft of my website in January 2013 I contacted people on Twitter to let them know that MyCarGossip had launched. 

I was so excited to launch and was on such a high and I was getting such a great response from the Twitter community.  



                                

Internet Trolls

Suddenly, out of nowhere I started getting really abusive Twitter messages from a Scottish driving instructor who didn't believe in review websites. 
He was being so rude and questioning the reviews that I had already gathered for the website and making threats about how he was going to report my site. It went on for about a week, at first I was replying to him because I wanted to stand up for myself but then I blocked him from my work twitter account but still kept track of what he was saying from my person twitter account. Let's just say it wasn't nice.

Domain Names:

Then one day reality hit home, I saw a tweet he had written about how he had purchased the domain www.mycargossips.com and he said something like "let's see what I am going to do with this new domain I have bought" I was so upset because I had got so excited about launching my new website and then I had some man on the internet threatening to ruin it all. 

I ended up buying loads of domains associated with mycargossip so that no one else could do anything similar to this man in the future. I then just ignored this driving instructor and a few days later I noticed that he had moved on and started harassing someone else on twitter. He was obviously just a bored man with nothing to do and scared that he would get negative reviews on my website. I realised that I shouldn't have taken it personally and that there will always be people out there who want to ruin what you are trying to achieve.

I haven't had anyone do anything similar since that incident but it was a good eye-opener. 
MyCarGossip encourages people to recommend trusted driving schools, car dealerships, garages and other motoring business. We are putting word of mouth online to help motorists with their entire motoring journeys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment